About Me

From Traditional to Innovative: Blogs About Legal Matters

There have been a few times in my life that I have needed a lawyer, and during those times, their help was invaluable. I worked with lawyers during the custody battle for my kids, when I dissolved the partnership for my business and after I suffered an injury at work. In this blog, I plan to write about the law from a range of angles. I may share posts inspired by my personal experiences, what's popular in the news or what strikes my fancy when I'm writing. I have a daughter, Oliva. I manage a medical clinic, and I love blogging. I hope you like the results. My name is Melinda, and thanks for reading!

From Traditional to Innovative: Blogs About Legal Matters

3 Things Temporary Migrant Families Need to Know About Australian Schooling

by Júnia Melo

If you're moving to Australia on a 457 visa (a Temporary Skilled Worker visa) and you're bringing your family with you, it's important to remember that Australian schooling is quite different to education in other parts of the world. Additionally, in some states there are separate rules for temporary migrants and permanent residents. Here are 3 things you need to remember before enrolling your children in an Australian school. Remember to contact your migrant agent for advice if you're unsure of how to proceed.

Academic Calendar

If you are migrating to Australia from somewhere in the northern hemisphere, you are most likely used to a school calendar which begins around August or September and ends around June or July. In Australia, however, the academic year begins in late January or early February and finishes in early or mid-December. The year is split up into 4 terms (usually January to April, April to July, July to September, and October to December) with breaks in between each term. If you've been considering moving during your country's summer break (June to September) to minimise the impact on your child's education, remember that this would result in your child entering their Australian school mid-year. If you'd prefer your child to begin schooling at the beginning of the Australian year, you will need to arrive by January.

Public School Fees

In some Australian states and territories, families sponsored on a 457 visa must pay a fee for their children to attend public schools. Under normal circumstances, you should be exempt from fees if you are moving to Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania or Victoria. However, this is not true for those migrating to New South Wales (NSW), Australian Capital Territory (ACT), or Western Australia (WA). Families moving to NSW will need to pay a yearly fee $5,000 to $6,000 per child, depending on their age. If you are migrating to ACT, you will pay $3,600 to $13,900 per child each year (age dependant). Children being educated in WA will incur a fee of $4,000 per year; this charge is for the first child being educated, and there is no extra charge for subsequent children. If you're in financial hardship, you may be able to apply for fee exemption. Of course, if you wish to have your child privately educated, fees will vary depending on your choice of school.

School Lunches

In many countries, such as the UK and the USA, it is customary for schools to have their own kitchens and cooks, providing a meal to every child in the cafeteria. This meal is either paid for by parents or subsidised for families in financial hardship. In Australia, the system is quite different. Many schools do not have a cafeteria or kitchen. In schools that do, these canteens are usually run by volunteering parents and may not be open every day. Instead, children are expected to bring a nutritious lunch with them to school. They may eat lunch in a classroom, or outside in the fresh air. As a result, you will need to remember to budget accordingly and ensure that someone in the household has time to prepare your child a lunch before they leave for school each day.

For more information, talk to a migration agent.